03 April 2012

Are we waking up as a nation?

I am hoping the answer to this is yes. More and more we are seeing articles, online stories, documentaries and tv "magazines" spots on Heart Disease and Cancer. We are seeing the link between animal milk and cancer and animal products and heart disease. We, as a society, understand that eating these items is making us FATTER, giving us cancer and heart disease and simply put, KILLING US.
A recent report has given us the news that our children are going to be the first generation to live less years then their parents.
Take a moment to comprehend this.
If you are in your 30's today, and your children are in elementary school today, then if you live to be 70 years old, your child will not make it that long.
All of this due to heart disease, kidney disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes (which has been renamed due to all the kids getting it! It used to be called Adult Onset Diabetes, but with so many kids getting it they changed the name!!!)
As I watch these documentaries that explain to people who are grossely overweight that if they do not change now, they will not live to see thier children graduate High School.
These same people say they understand and that they want to change but they can't.
Those words "I CAN'T" have always made me insane. I have used them in life from time to time but it's been a lie. I could have, IF I WANTED TO. I just didn't want to. I liked NOT doing whatever it was that someone wanted me to do. LOL.
These fat people CAN change is what I thought.
Well, that's half true. They can change if they want, but the odds are against them. I am currently reading a great book called "The End Of Overeating." by David Kessler, MD.
It explains that the "opioids" in our brains that are released when we equate pleasure with something are released almost on a constant basis when we eat high fat, high sugar, high salt content foods.
There is no coincidence that the chain restaurants hire chemists as well as PR people.
These chemists KNOW the precise percentages of fat, sugar and salt that will equal a persons "bliss point" with food intake.
Once the chemists create the most saturated foods to get people to release opioids, thus creating a "need" for that food item, the PR gurus take over and write LAVISH dramas, aka: commercials, where they describe in vivid detail what each mouthful will taste like.
This onslaught bombards us daily. You can't watch CSI, House Hunters, CNN news, or even Grimm without being assailed by commercials for unhealthy foods.
At this very moment that I am writing this, I have another window up with my facebook page and RIGHT THERE, despite my blogs to the contrary, there is a Dairy Milk advertisement! (Yes, I do click the X button and then click the OFFENSIVE button - LOL - over the top, maybe, but proving my own point!)
I read recently that the sales of animal milk has been steadily dropping since 1990. Conversely, the sales of Almond Milk rose by 79% in 2011! YAY!
This has, of course, given the Dairy industry a fright of monumental proportions. They have decided to launch a barage to the FDA to ban the use of the word milk by anyone not using it for Cow's milk. Hmmmm, The Leche League should be thrilled by this!
However, even with this attack on the populace, we can still get a grip as a nation on our food consumption.
Changing to a plant based, whole foods diet will not only make us healthy, it will save our lives.
We all die. There is no changing that fact. But how we live until we do die can be dramatically different then what life is like without changing.
Wouldn't you like to be able to ride a bike, or go jogging, or maybe just get up off the sofa without having to maneuver to the edge first and then do the double push up to get up, until you are ancient?
I know I would.
Well, I will be able to do all those things, since I have embrassed life on a plant based diet, I will be able to ride my bike well into my 80's. Steve will be jogging along side my bike as well.
We will be active, right up to the point where we keel over. LOL.
I am hoping as a nation we wise up, put down the McDonald's fries and pick up the kale.
The cost of health care in this country is skyrocketing. We pay more than any other industialized nation for our health care cost.
This will cripple us completely soon. I won't say "in the future" because that future is not far enough away. Yes, 5 years from now is the future, but using that word makes people think they have PLENTY OF TIME to deal with it.
YOU DON'T!
The time is now.
We MUST deal with our health before we completely bankrupt ourselves.
And why not? We will feel better, have more energy and be happier!
Good Luck. (You won't need it, because you can do it!)

1 comment:

  1. I, unfortunately, think that the overeating is due to laziness and time constraints. Everyone is always in a hurry, hurry, hurry.... and no one wants to take the time to plan meals. Or even exercise. I was one of those people!! And it's so much CHEAPER to plan your meals at home!! You even know exactly what you are eating. You can keep track of the calories, etc...

    PEOPLE CAN DO IT! They just need to take responsibility for themselves and their family.

    ReplyDelete

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!