01 April 2012

The Innkeepers

So, Abbey and I watched The Inkeepers tonight. The trailer looked really good and spooky and I thought, WHAT THE HELL, I will pay for it. So we rented it on Dish on Demand.
Hmmmm, where should I start?
How about DON'T PAY FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!! EVER!!!!!
Now, I can say that the first 3/4's of this movie are really cool. The suspense builds and things are funny and spooky at the same time.
Sara Paxton is really good and believable as is Pat Healy. Kelly McGillis shows up (sans Tom Cruise or a jet fighter jacket, thank goodness!) and is looking VERY different these days. However, she is very good in her part. Her character is extremely interesting and even though she is a supporting character, she is well fleshed out.
The Woman and Child (AKA: Gozer and the demon seed) are there possibly as red herrings or possibly as a modern day illustration for the "myth" of Madaline.
The movie is slow but not annoyingly so. You are invested in the characters and Luke's slow decent into complete horror is very well filmed. (and acted)
Claire of course ends up doing the ONE THING she is told NOT TO DO.
Which since this is a horror movie, we expect her to do even while we are shouting at the screen NO NO NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? GAH! Don't go in there!!!!! GAAAHHHHH!
Now, I know what you are thinking, this movie is sounding awesome. Why did you tell me to never pay for it?
Well, the ending is why.
I think I can really consider myself a horror movie afficionado, after the GAZILLIONS of horror movies I have watched and the script that I and an old friend have knocked around once. So, I NEED A PAY OFF.
When you build up my interest and make me care about characters, then you damn well better tell me, show me, or make it so I can explain WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED!
S P O I L E R A L E R T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
When the ending goes through the motions of wrapping things up, but doesn't really explain a thing, then it really can't call itself and epilogue now can it?
The little chapters breaking up the movie into parts was really cool.
When you get to Chapter Three: The Final Guest, you are really stoked to see what's going to happen.
He is perfectly creepy and insistant and HORROR-IFIC.
Sigh.
I really wanted to see what happened to her, or hear how it effected the other two characters, or at least have Kelly McGillis' character tell us that she knew it was all going to happen and WHY!!!!!!!
Unanswered questions are okay in a horror movie, as long as you have been giving the tools to figure it out for yourself.
We were giving the tools and a lot of other "half-tools" that we needed more info to process properly.
Ok, Madaline hung herself and was stashed in the cellar by the hotel owners so as not to cause a commotion in the town and for publicity.
But, we then hear that there isn't just one spirit, but three.
Really? Who are they? Why are they there? What's their beef?
This is very dissapointing.
The build up was cool, but the pay off simply wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!